Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Lunch time update

So if all goes well, I hope to develop the routine of updating this blog thing at least once a day while I’m at lunch. There will be times when I share my hour with others which will make blogging a much more difficult thing so in that case I’ll have to wait.

I really am not sure quite how to go about this, so I’m just gonna have to fly by the seat of my pants. Let me tell you though, if not for the auto correct function of MS Word, there would be no proper grammar in this writing. Forget about punctuations (a word I was having trouble remembering this morning) and quotations. As long as you get the point I’m trying to make then I’ve done my part.

For as long as I can remember, proof reading was never my strong suit. I’d read enough to make sure (or rather use spell checker) the spelling was correct and that I didn’t use a word too many times, but for the most part, I’ve always just wrote what came to me. It’s how I’ve always written my poetry, I get an idea in my head and I just run with it. I write or type until I feel like its time to stop, then I stop and look it over. I’m not looking to make adjustments, but more to make sure it says what I was feeling at the time.

Writing for me has always been like conversing with someone. Like a battle of wits where you always think of the perfect retort only after the conversation is over. With my writing, I can think of what to say, and then wait for that perfect retort to come before I actually respond. The end result is usually everything I wanted to say without the need to go back and edit it 100 times. Very rarely do I, if ever, edit a poem that I deem complete. I sit down, pour out my soul to the paper and then take a deep breath.

There are some creations I have that are so intense with my emotion that I actually have a hard time reading them and not re living the experience. Almost everything I write is based on a personal experience. That being said, there are plenty of creations I have that I have never EVER experienced before. I either created them at the request of someone else or I just let my wonderful imagination take me to where I might think the experience would take me. If you can tell the difference, then I haven’t done a good job of writing.

Not everything I create has a form to it. I do a lot of rhyme and prose. I am hoping to give myself some more structure through this blog. I’m hoping to incorporate some traditional styles into my arsenal and share them here. If all goes well, I’ll be sharing a lot of my past and present creations here. I’ll either post them directly into the blog or I’ll post a link to them.

Funny how time flies when you get in a groove. My trusty watch is telling me I have 2 minutes to get back to work. So this shall end here. But I’ll leave you with a sample of what I have to offer. I leave you with the very first poem I ever created, no prompting no reason, I just sat down with a notebook, grabbed me a pencil and wrote until it felt right to stop writing. I will mention that I was in High School at the time 10th grade to be exact. And I do remember the precise reason for the poem, the location it was written in, and why it catapulted me into the creative writing world. I feel like I’m baring my soul for the world to judge, but ah well, here goes.

As If You Couldn’t Tell

As if you couldn’t tell every time I said hello .

As if you couldn’t see that I was really feeling low.

As if you couldn’t sense the emotions I conceal.

As if you couldn’t find the nerves to tell me how you feel.

If the love I have for you is only but a phase,

What is it that keeps my thoughts on you throughout the day.

As many times as I’ve dreamed of you you’d think I was obsessed.

When in fact your thoughts are true and I’ve made you my only quest.

Times before I’ve tried to tell you how I feel but I have failed.

So I put my thoughts in a letter to you but still to no avail.

You shouldn’t be so calm knowing I feel the way I do.

Unless the thought of being my girlfriend has never occurred to you.

No matter what the outcome is you’ll remain in my mind,

As the girl who stole my heart at a certain point in time.

But if I had one wish, I’ll tell you what I’d do,

I’d wish that when I said I love you, you’d say I love you too.



welcome to my mind, its a strange place to be, but at least you can leave when you want to.

mr. me

No comments: